Sunday, June 28, 2015

Hookah Hose Experiment Part 2 - Observation

    Over the course of 3 days, I allowed my bacterial sample from the hookah hose to incubate at room temperature. The following are my observations:

    Results at 12 Hours
After 12 hours of incubation, I already noticed slight bacterial growth along the spread line. The amount of growth seen in such short amount of time indicates a large amount of bacteria present upon sampling.



Size: Pinpoint, Small

Form: Punctiform, Circular

Elevation: Convex

Margin: Entire

Texture: Smooth

Appearance: Glistening

Pigmentation: White

Optical Property: Translucent



   Results at 24 Hours
After 24 hours of incubation, I noticed rapid growth results, as the colonies tended to merge into each other. The color changed from white to a vague yellow. I also noticed small growth outside of the colonies, as seen along the edges of the petri dish.


Size: Small
Form: Punctiform, Circular


Elevation: Convex
Margin: Entire


Texture: Smooth
Appearance: Glistening

Pigmentation: Yellow, White
Optical Property: Opaque


   Results at 48 & 72 Hours
After 48 hours on incubation, I noticed no significant additional growth patterns as seen from the results at 24 hours. Bacteria continued to grow in colonies along the spread line, as well as some minor growth along the sides. The growth within the colonies remained relatively the same. Yellow bacteria grew in colonies of larger circles, while white bacteria grew more spread out and in smaller circles. After 72 hours, I noticed the same amount of growth, with no changes.


Size: Small (White), Large (Yellow)
Form: Circular

Elevation: Convex
Margin: Entire


Texture: Smooth
Appearance: Glistening

Pigmentation: Yellow, White
Optical Property: Opaque


   
    According to my results, I could only distinguish between 2 different types of bacteria that were found on my hookah hose. In regards to my hypothesis of finding endospore growth, I found no filamental growth patterns to confirm this. I was also rather surprised to only find 2 distinct types of growth, rather than various growths, colors, and textures. While these results do not support my hypothesis of endospore growth, to conclude that there is no endospore growth in the hookah hoses, more specific tests would need to be preformed on various samples.

    The next post will conclude my results and begin the next step in my experiment as I test oils on bacterial inhibition. In order to identify the types of bacteria that have grown in my sample, I will perform a Gram Stain. In addition, to confirm lack of endospore growth, I will also perform an Endospore Stain test to see whether there is any sporulation activity.



No comments:

Post a Comment